Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Nativity Collection

Here is the top of my Piano. Looking at these makes me happy.
  
Here are my pretty new shelves with some of my gorgeous Nativities.
  
Now I'll give you a closer look at each one in order of when I acquired them.

I made this etched glass Nativity when I was in Young Womans. I have always loved it's simplicity and beauty. It is 6" tall.
This snow globe Nativity was given to us as a wedding gift. My first impression of it in it's box was that it was ugly. But when I pulled it out that first Christmas, I  couldn't imagine why I had ever thought that. It plays "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" and the lights in the town light up. The Angels circle around the Holy scene of the Christ child. It is truly one of my favorites. It stands 10" tall.
I bought this little nativity at the dollar store in Saskatoon our first Christmas together. Each piece is 2" tall and the stable is 5" tall.
 
 My sister-in-law  made this block nativity for us when Kathryn was about a year old. Each piece is about 2.5" tall.
 My sister Chrystal made this one for us that same year. The blocks are 3" by 3.5"
 I found this one at a second hand store. The angels were a gift from a friend. The tallest piece is 4"
 This one was also a second hand store find, the same year as the previous one. The tallest piece is 6.5".
  
This too was a second hand store find, again the same year as the other...
it was a great year for finding amazing Christmas decorations and things. The stable is 7" tall and the tallest piece is 5"
  
This porcelain one I painted one year at a Relief Society Super Saturday (Christmas Craft making day)The tallest piece(camel) is 4.5"

This one and the one in ths background of the previous picture were once again made at a Super Saturday. The plaque is 5" square
  
My sister, Chrystal made this one for me. It stands 8" tall.
  
I bought this one from the Oriental Trading company our First Christmas in our new house. Each letter is 4.5" tall
  
I bought this one off of Ebay that Christmas too. It came from Peru.Measures 2" tall by 2.5"wide
 I bought this one off of Ebay last year, in September. This one came from Peru as well. When it arrived both the angel and Mary were broken. The angel I could live with, but Mary is really rather important. The seller had no problem replacing the broken pieces, but when they arrived, I had an extra wise man and a new baby Jesus. So I contacted him again and he sent out two new pieces. This time I got another Joseph and the angel. Once again I contacted the seller and he willingly sent out the replacement pieces. Finally I got my replacement Mary...and another extra wise man. It usually sits on a mirror, but I couldn't get a good picture of it. The tallest piece is 2" tall.
 This one I also bought off of ebay last year. It is the biggest of all of my Nativities, the stable is 15" tall and the tallest piece is 10". It has a music box that sings "Silent Night" and a light that lights up the stable.

I have some small ones that hang on my tree, but I don't have those out yet to share with you. Surprisingly enough I haven't bought one at all this year. I usually buy at least one....Christmas has just begun. There is plenty of time to find the perfect one for this year.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mandy - it is always so fun to see everyone's nativity sets. It is also fun to know the history that goes with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy - it is always so fun to see everyone's nativity sets. It is also fun to know the history that goes with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection, I love Nativity sets too and have a few. I tried the second hand store thing the other day, no luck.

    ReplyDelete