Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Christmas Advent Puzzle, day 21

Scripture: "Behold, there shall be a arecord kept among you; and in it thou shalt be called a bseer, a translator, a prophet, an capostle of Jesus Christ, an elder of the church through the will of God the Father, and the grace of your Lord Jesus Christ,...Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give aheed unto all his words and bcommandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all choliness before me;
 For his aword ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 21:1,4-5

Activity: Our prophet tells us what Jesus Christ wants us to do. Talk with a parent about President Thomas S. Monson's Counsel from the last General conference.


I read through President Monson's talk from the Sunday morning session of conference this past October entitled "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" first thing this morning so that I could think about it during the day. Tonight before bed, I read them the first part of the talk(up to the quote by President Hinckley). I asked them what they thought it meant to "walk with Gratitude". They didn't have an answer right off. So I told them to think about that while I read some more of the talk(up to the paragraph starting "Regardless of our circumstances..."). We talked about some of the blessings we have in our life that we can be grateful for. And then I asked them again what they thought it meant to "walk with gratitude". I told them that I thought that part of it was recognizing some of the little things as blessings in our life. Sometimes we think that we are just lucky, or that something was a coincidence. But really it is Heavenly Father blessing us. I asked them if they remembered that time that we were headed to Lethbridge, and we almost ran out of gas(you can read the whole story here). Kathryn knew the story right away. I retold the story and asked them if they thought we were just lucky that day. They both agreed that it wasn't just luck, but that Heavenly Father had been looking out for us that day. I challenged them to look for things like that, or maybe just simple things to be grateful for, and to tell Heavenly Father in their prayer before bed each night.

It was such a good discussion, they were really listening to me, and contributing. I love that they are growing up, and understanding and thinking about so much more and trying to apply that to their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment