Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sew Much Fun

Back in December I won this book called Sewing School from a give away over at Sew, Mama, Sew!. What a fun book for teaching kids the basics of sewing. It is written at a second grade comprehension level. All of these projects are super cool and easy. Most of them are hand stitching projects. All pattern pieces are included with instructions complete with colour pictures. In short, I think this book is FAB.U.LOUS.

Today I decided that I would help the girls make their very own softies.

The first step was to get a piece of plain white cotton fabric. Then the girls drew an animal or creature on the fabric with wax crayon. After they were finished colouring. I placed a plain white sheet of paper over the design and ironed it to remove all the way. Then I helped them cut out the rough shape of their creature and then it was sewing time.



This project was so easy that even Miss Kymberly could do most of it on her own with supervision. At first she started out really  carefully doing a whip stitch around the edges. After awhile she would say "can you do it for me". So I'd help her out and then she would want to do it by herself again.





Tansley did a very good job and keeping her stitches small, most of the time. Right near the end she was wanting to be done so her stitches got a little large. After she had it stuffed we found a few places where she needed to add  a few more stitches to keep the stuffing in.

Kathryn did a great job, but she has had quite a bit more experience than the other two. Even so, she still had so much fun with this project.









There is something special about watching a child create their very own something. When it is all said and done, they are so proud of themselves and what they have created.  Here are the girls final projects.
Kymberly loves her new teddy bear. She has named it Kymberly.
Tansley made a parrot, and a simply awesome parrot at that.
Kathryn created a fire breathing dragon...how clever.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really great book. Those certainly are great softies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog. It is random that the "next" blog happened to be one that you would have so much in common with! I tried doing it after I read your comment and did not have any luck. I never heard of so many BIG babies until I had some! I am nervous to think that my next baby will be even bigger(which I don't want). But reading that your 3rd baby was your biggest I have hope that it is possible that my babies might stop getting progressively bigger! (Don't get me wrong-I love my fat babies) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such fun things with your girls. They are going to be good moms just like you.

    ReplyDelete