Friday, July 8, 2011

Kymberly's Surgery

Monday was a long hard day.

We went up to Calgary on Sunday night and spent the night at my little brothers new house. He and his wife just took possession on June 30. It was so kind of them to welcome us into there home even though they were still unpacking.
Monday morning we needed to be at the Children's hospital at 7:45am. Kymberly was so excited. She was all smiles and full of energy. When the nurse came in to get some info and check Kymberly's vitals, Kymberly was more than willing to answer every question and tell her stories to go with every answer. While we waited we played some of Kymberly's favorite games and coloured.
Then I went and got one of the DVD players and Kymberly chose a Thomas the Train movie to watch. She hadn't got very far into the movie when the porter came to get us to go to the holding area. As the nurse took Kymberly off down the hall to be put to sleep she was in blissful heaven and completely trusting. She skipped all the way down the hall.
The next time I saw Kymberly she wasn't very happy about how she was feeling. Her eyes hurt and were sensitive to the light, she was groggy and just down right miserable. Poor girl. I wanted to cry. But I didn't. I just sat beside her and stroked her hair and held her hand. One of the first thing she said to me when she woke up was, "I didn't get to finish watching the Thomas movie." The poor girl was seriously disappointed.
 By 1pm, Kymberly was OK to go home and we made our journey home. I sat in the back seat of the van with her and held a cold wash cloth on her eyes to help ease the sensation of sand in her eyes. She slept most of the way home. When we got home she slept on my bed. She was restless and sometimes needed me to just lay beside her. We had a long night, and I wished I could take all her pain away. She asked me to say a little prayer over and over again. Daddy offered to give her another blessing but she said "No, you did that already, just say a prayer". So we would say a little prayer as often as she asked. By Tuesday morning she was basically herself. Her eyes were still a little sensitive to the light, but she was happy and mostly pain free. I was so grateful. It actually has been a great week.
I've been asked if she can tell a difference, but I don't believe she does. I still watch her cautiously walk down the stairs, just the same as she has always done. I'm pretty sure that over her time her mind will learn that things are as they seem. That things really are as far away as they seem. That that stair really is where it looks to be. And then one day maybe I'll notice that she isn't as cautious about things as she used to be.

2 comments:

  1. Oh...bless her heart...I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave little girl. What a wonderful testimony she has too, that prayer works, our Father in Heaven hears and is aware of even the smallest of us all. (who often seem to have the greatest faith of all)

    ReplyDelete