Friday, July 8, 2011

Fun comes in all shapes and sizes.

Yesterday was the girls and I's payday fro delivering the Prairie Post. This payday was the most exciting yet. We had finally saved enough money to buy the trampoline that they have been working for. We went out and delivered the Prairie Post first thing in the morning, while we were delivering I just happened to notice that Canadian tire had their 14' trampoline on sale for 30% off, dropping the price to just under $200. Perfect. This meant that I would then have enough money to buy the beach shelter that I had been eying for the past little while. So as soon as we were done delivering, we got in the van and headed to Lethbridge. Our first stop was Burger King to treat ourselves to some lunch. Next we headed over to Canadian Tire and picked up the trampoline and beach shelter. SO EXCITING!!! When we were all done there we headed on over to the Superstore to do a little grocery shopping. We had about $80 left over which the girls had planned to buy some groceries with. They went through the store humming and hawing over what to buy, but slowly we filled up our cart. After it was all paid for and we did a great job and using up the remainder of our money, we headed on over to the food bank. We got there just in the nick of time. They were closing up. But they were more than willing to open up the doors and let the girls bring in their donations. I explained to them that the girls had been working hard delivering papers for the past few months so that they could buy a trampoline, but that they also wanted to use their money to do something good for someone else and they chose to buy food and donate to the food bank. They chose this as their good deed because of the story I told them at Christmas about my parents taking us grocery shopping to buy our favorite foods and then they told us that we would be donating them to the food bank. When we left the girls said "That was so much FUN!"

Today we set up the trampoline. I did it all on my own(with some help from the girls) in about an hour, maybe even less. I was surprised at how simple it was. The girls have done little else today but play on the trampoline. But soon I'll have to call them in for dinner and then we will have to go out and deliver a few more flyers.

I wonder what well be our next fun purchase?

4 comments:

  1. What great kids. You must be teaching them right to help them work towards a goal, and a really worthy goal at that. Good for you! And they look like they are having a great time

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys have been begging for a trampoline. I promised as soon as we have a yard again that we would buy one...maybe I should make them earn the $$$ for it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific reward for all their hard work (the trampoline and the donations). Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, you must be the best mom in the world! :) You have amazing kids! :D

    ReplyDelete