Saturday, April 30, 2011

Oh, what shall I make?

I have been a good girl and haven't bought fabric without knowing what I was going to do with it for well over a year. The last time I did such a thing I blogged about it here and here. I am so addicted to buying fabric from fabric.com, so to combat my buying tendencies, I stopped going over to this site to just see what there was. Inevitably when I just go to look...I always find something that I have to have. Earlier this month, I decided to go back to my beloved site and see what they had for fabric that I could make the girls Easter dresses out of. I had recently received an email telling me that all their discounted fabrics were an additional 30% off, so really I HAD to go see what there was. I really wanted to make yellow dresses for my girls this year(this didn't ever happen because I just got my fabric today) and I just happened to find some gorgeous yellow organza and polyester so I bought 5 yards of each for a total of $18. Then I just had to check out what they had in their clearance cotton section....this may have been a mistake. This is what I found and bought(at $6.11/yard).
See, I couldn't leave any of them behind. Now what shall I make with them? Some of these prints are coordinating prints.
Mariposa by Laura Berringer for Marcus Fabrics
Swoon by Melissa Averinos for Andover Fabrics inc.
I kinda thought that I might make a skirt for me out of a few of them. But other than that I might just sit them on my sewing desk and admire them for awhile.

4 comments:

  1. you should make a 'strip' skirt - it is just 24 strips about 2 inches wide (more or less). 12 are print 12 are plain - The plain are 'pointed' (not a complete point but they taper to 1 inch)and are about 8" shorter.
    Serge long sides and top stitch together. I bought one at TJ Max and thought I can do that - and have! I put pockets into mine - took some figuring to do that in the top stitching though. To see the one I bought go to photo 24 in Becky's family album on FB http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=371120066606&set=a.343877841606.160669.570731606&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  2. the one I made is a similar paisley print with deep red on yellow gold and I made the insets the deep red. I am going to try one that is made of coordinating strips like you have here ...someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this skirt (http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/06/summer-swing-skirt.html) Mmmmm...it's devine. Love how swingy (is that a word?!) and swooshy it is. I almost feel like a pioneer woman (in a good way) in it. And, being a tall woman I didn't know if it would be long enough...it is, right to the floor almost!

    I am totally going to check out that site! Thanks for the referral!

    ReplyDelete