Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Joy is Full.

Ever since Kathryn turned 8yrs she has wanted to fast on Fast Sundays. Even while I was nursing and not able to fast with her, she would choose to fast. This Sunday was no different. A few months ago, on Fast Sunday she had told me that she had wanted to get up and bear her testimony in sacrament meeting, but that she was too scared. I smiled at her and told her that I knew exactly how she felt. I encouraged her to practice. We talked about what kinda of things she would like to say in her testimony. We've talked about it here and there over the past few months. This morning while we were getting ready for church, Tansley came to me and told me that Kathryn was thinking that she wanted to bear her testimony in sacrament meeting today. So I found time to quietly talk to her and gently encourage her to do it if she felt prompted.

I started to wonder to myself when she got all grown up. Where did this big beautiful girl come from? How am I lucky enough to be her mother?

At church I could see she was nervous, and that she wanted to stand up. She sat quietly and wrote her testimony out in her little notebook she has in her scripture case and passed it to me to read. It was short, simple and to the point. My heart swelled, and I longed to hear her say the words herself. With 10 minutes left in sacrament meeting, and after making me promise to get up and bear my testimony right after her she finally just stood up quick and walked to the front. "I want to bear my testimony" she says and then starts to cry a little(she gets that from her mother). "I know this church is true." At this point she is completely choked up and has to stop. A deep breath. "I love my family very much." Another pause to gain control, and from the pew Kymberly says out loud "Kathryn, whats wrong?" which makes Kathryn laugh a little and she is able to finish up "I know the things that my parents and teacher say are true." and she finishes it off in the name of Jesus Christ. It was a very good thing that I had to wait while another sister bore her testimony, I was an emotional mess. I could see that I wasn't the only one, there were many in the congregation that were in tears. Through out the remainder of church a noticed a number of people give her a hug and tell her that they appreciated her sharing her testimony.

It brings a mother to tears to hear her first born bear their simple testimony for the first time in public. I think her father may have been having waterworks issues as well, but I couldn't tell through my blubbering mess. I could feel that she really knew and believed what she was saying. They weren't just words that she had heard. They were her own. I've done something right. My daughter has the beginnings of her very own testimony. Something I pray for every night. I want my children to have their very own testimony. I want them to believe, not just because their father and I have told them to, but because they know for themselves. It brings me such joy to see the seeds of faith grow with in them. This afternoon, Tansley told me that when Kathryn was bearing her testimony that she started to cry, because she felt the spirit and that she wanted to bear her testimony next month on Fast Sunday. Kathryn, ever the big sister, started to give her advice and encourage her that even though she might feel nervous and scared, if you just do it, you feel so wonderful afterward.

Today Kymberly had a lesson in sunbeams about keeping the Sabbath day holy. After church Daddy was checking the hockey scores and TV, boy oh boy, did he get an earful from Kymberly. "Dad, you don't watch sports on TV on Sundays!" At lunch I asked her to share with us what she learned in Sunbeams. She told us that on Sundays you don't watch sports or go grocery shopping. But that you do go to church or watch conference. You can listen to Sunday music and spend time with your family.  She listed some other things but I can't think of them. It just made me smile to know that she had learned something today.  Our ward has been so blessed with wonderful Primary teachers, and our children in the ward are surely benefiting. I see it in my own children and the changes in the other children in the ward.

It was a great Sunday, and I have hope that my children are going to be alright in this ever changing world. If we keep doing what we are doing they'll grow up strong in the gospel and know for themselves that Jesus is the Christ. That He lives. That He loves us. That He is the Son of  the Almighty God. And that they too are children of a loving Heavenly Father who wants them, and all of us, to return to live with him again. And through faith on the Lord Jesus Christ and repentance, it is entirely possible for us to be blessed with all that the Father has in store for us, both in this life and in the Eternities. I know this to be true.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. It is so wonderful to see our children grow in the gospel. I remember the first time Rob bore his testimony in sacrament meeting. It was such a wonderful experience for all of us. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA - wonderful!! the kids keep us in line - and you just wait - this is just the beginning. By the time they are 12 they will know it all and be doing everything one way or another - there is no fooling a kid!
    At least not your own. I have learned and grown more from my own kids and from wonderful nieces and nephews than I ever thought possible. I noticed in conference they told us to listen to our children and grandchildren! They are pretty special.

    ReplyDelete