A few weeks ago I saw an add on the school bulletin board that read "Earn $$$ delivering flyers". I thought to myself "Hey, that would be a great way to get some exercise. The kids love to help grandma deliver flyers. Maybe I could talk them into doing this." So I came home and talked to them and Daniel about it. Daniel thought I was crazy. The girls thought it was a great idea, especially when I told them that some of the money would be theirs and that we could do fun things with it. I called my mom and asked her some questions about her route and asked her if she thought I was crazy. She told me that she didn't think I was crazy and this could be a good experience for the girls. She suggested some other questions that I might want to ask the "Flyer boss". She also suggested that I have the girls think of something they wanted to work towards, since this was going to be fun money. I knew immediately what they were going to want, a trampoline. I called the number that was on the poster and asked some more questions. Here's the deal. The flyers would be delivered early in the morning of Wednesday and are to be delivered by Friday. There are 400 flyers(for all of Milk River). If for some reason we aren't able to do it one week, all we would have to do is give the Flyer boss a weeks notice and it would be taken care of. Payment is a whopping $272/month. After I had all my answers. I talked with the girls again. I told them all the details and then I told them that I thought we should think of something that we all wanted to work towards. And I was right, they wanted a trampoline. So we called the Flyer boss back and said we would do it.
After all this is money that we don't really need. We have been blessed with so much, certainly we could use some of our fun money to do some good in the world. So I sat down with the girls and suggested that we think of some projects that we could do to some good in our community and around the world. We decided that we could give some money to the Church's Humanitarian Aid fund. But that we also wanted to think of things that we could do hands on. Kathryn suggested that we could buy some of our favorite foods and take them to the Food Bank, like my parents had us kids do one Christmas. That will be our first project. We'll think of more and do what we can to make a difference.
This week was our first week. Flyers were delivered late because of some crazy snow. We worked for an hour and a half last night and then two and a half hours today. In all we walked about 5 miles. I think we can cut that down a little for next week. And hopefully we will be a little quicker. But I can't complain. The girls did great...with a few reminders what we were working for. And thank goodness I have a chariot trailer to push the two littlest youngest ones in and to fill the basket full of flyers. All in all, it's been a good two days. And we'll do it all again next week, and again and again until the weather gets cold again and the days get shorter.
No comments:
Post a Comment