Kymberly has always had a some what lopsided head. One eye sits a little higher than the other. She was born that way. I suppose she was just so big, the poor girl was squished, and the irregularly shaped head was a result. When she was a baby, almost everyone took it upon themselves to inform me that my baby's eyes were uneven, or that her head was a funny shape. Some people were down right rude and assumed that there was something wrong with her, most were just curious. She will always be a girl that wears bangs. Nearly 4 years later, and every once in awhile I still have somebody say something. I hardly notice it anymore, and at times I wonder if it isn't as misshapen as it once was, or if I am just accustom to it.
Well it turns out that not only are her eyes lopsided on the outside, but they are also lopsided on the inside. Apparently the nerve in one eye is longer than in the other eye, making it so her eyes do not work together. She has adapted and basically uses one eye at a time, the result is a loss of depth perception. Try it, close one eye and have some one toss you a ball, see how easy(or difficult) it is to catch the ball. Now add to that another eye that is doing the same thing but not in cooperation with the first eye. Suddenly so many things make sense. She's afraid of heights. She won't play on the playground. She often is paralyzed in fear when she has to walk down stairs and there isn't a railing or somebodies hand for her to hold onto. She generally ends up sitting down and scooting down the stairs on her bum.
So now we know there is a problem. Our optometrist has referred us to a specialist in Calgary to discuss our options and what can be done for her. We already have an appointment lined up for May. I'm anxious to get this going. Not worried anxious, I just want to do what ever needs to be done so this little girl can see the world as it should be. I suspect she may be a different little girl once we get this all fixed.
Some times the only 'fix' is to help with transitions as she learns to compensate. I have no depth perception. I can not look with binoculars, I hate 3D movies, and never know how close my hand/body is - oops didn't mean to drop the plate an inch onto the table - I thought I was already there OR oops I didn't mean to smash the glass onto the counter so hard it broke - I thought I wasn't there yet! Always makes for a few apologies, accidents and extra work/time. Very tiring to read or do other kinds of work/activities without the correct glasses. Don't worry - you will get it figured out.
ReplyDeleteOh wow. It is amazing what these little people come with isn't it?
ReplyDeleteMy two biggest also came with problems that as soon as we figured out it all made so much sense about different problems/challenges they had!
Good luck in Calgary.
Good luck with the specialist. It is always nice to have some answers and help is even better.
ReplyDeleteIt's so good once you figure things like this out, then you can actually have an explanation for quirks and know how to make them better, good luck KC!
ReplyDelete