Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

About a week ago my cousin posted this link on facebook. When I saw this cake I just had to try it.  I have never before tried to decorate a cake like this. My decorating skills are pretty limited, but the writer of the blog assured it's readers that it was really easy. Trusting in that, I seriously went out the next day and bought the decorating tip and all the other stuff to make it. All week I was thinking about making this cake for a Valentines Family Home Evening treat. Finally Saturday came along and I figured it would be a good day to spend baking and decorating. I really wanted to do the whole deal. So I used her recipes for  Red velvet cake and white cake and her butter cream frosting recipe. Then I followed her tutorial to make the vertical layer cake....kinda. I only wanted one cake instead of two, so mine isn't quite the same. In hindsight, I wish I would have just done it the way she did and then just found someone to give the other cake too. But I haven't cut into my cake yet, so it is possible that I might still love it nearly as much....but then does it really matter? We're just going to eat it.

So here it is.
I totally LOVE it and will be decorating cakes like this when ever I have a chance. Lucky for me I have three girls, and they all love this cake. They have all told me that they want a cake like this for their birthdays.
It really was easy, but I want to get better. I had it all decorated once and was trying to do some touch ups and ended up ruining it, so I scraped off all the icing and started over. I'll post pictures of the inside once we cut into it for dessert tonight....that is if I like the way it looks.

3 comments:

  1. That cake looks amazing!Maybe easy for your talented self... and definitely beyond my pitiful cooking skills. I wish I could try it with you tonight... yum! Maybe you could make it for the 24th of July when I'm in Canada. :) Ha. Camping and cake making probably don't go hand in hand. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwie so it actually works! I am so impressed! I am going to have to share this with a friend on facebook

    ReplyDelete