But until then, I guess I will have to settle with doing things to get ready for those warm days in May(assuming they really will come). Last year we had troubles with little creatures in the dirt eating my cucumber seeds. As a result, my already late cucumbers were really late because I had to replant them once or twice. This year I have decided to start them indoors, and though I have a west facing window that gets a fair amount of sun, I don't really have a great place to put seed pots. So one night while I was laying in bed, not sleeping because my brain hadn't yet decided to follow the rest of my body and shut down, I came up with this idea. I have this aquarium(with everything I need to set it up) that my brother gave me when me moved. I have yet to set it up. I love fish, I think they are very relaxing to watch and I get a kick out of our cats trying to get at them. But I haven't yet put "buying fish" on the top of my things to spend money on, and when it gets close to the top, often other necessities come up and gets bumped back down. SO, I thought that it would be smart to use that aquarium as a little green house, I could set it on the little side table that we would set the fish on if we had them, and place it right in the middle of our large west facing bay window. That way they get to enjoy the warm sun and will be protected from my 20 month old who would love to just play in the dirt. I bought those little expanding peat pots the other day, and I have a tonne of little planting pots to put them in. So now I just need to put the little seeds in and off we go, on our way to wonderful cucumbers!!
I also came across this blog that showed me how to make my own seed tapes. That might just be our next Family Home Evening project. Simple and easy and will make planting with the girls so much easier when warm weather decides to come our way and stay.
No comments:
Post a Comment