Monday, March 31, 2008

Tansley Kaye has amazed me....

Caution: This entry may contain graphic details and may not be for all readers...Mothers excluded.

Yesterday after church we had choir practice, during which time my two oldest generally run around the now empty church. As we were in the middle of a song, Tansley comes running into the chapel holding her diaper and yelling "mom, my diaper fell off!". So I excuse myself and go to assist a half naked Tansley (at least she hadn't lifted her dress up to show the world that indeed her diaper had fallen off).  As I am putting a new diaper on her I say to her "Tansley, if you used the potty like a big girl you could wear big girl underpants and not have to worry about a diaper." Her usual response to a statement like this is "I not a big girl, I little" but not this time, her eyes lit up and she said "OK". By the time we had got home I had forgotten all about the underpants conversation until it was time to go back to the church that evening for a fireside and discovered that Tansley was poopy again and it was all over her clothes, and I had just finished cleaning up Kymberly after a similar scenario. I was angry, and again told her that if she would use the potty she could wear big girl underpants, again I got the same reaction, but this time refused to let me put a diaper on her, She insisted that she wear underpants. Lucky for me, I happened to have some Blues Clues and Dora underpants. I retrieved them from the box in the garage and we were all ready to head back to the church, Daniel and I with our fingers crossed that we were not asking for trouble. She did great. She went to the potty three times while we were there. When we got home it was bed time and I know that Tansley is not ready for the no diaper at night stage (she wakes up wet every morning), however Tansley absolutely refused to put a baby diaper on, I finally had Daniel be the big mean ol' daddy and forced one on her. When all had calmed down, I sat down with Tansley and promised her that if she used the potty like a big girl, that I would buy her some Big girl pull up diapers for night time. She gave me a big hug with a huge smile on her face and said "Thank you Mommy!". Well this morning, before I had yet got out of bed (my kids are early risers and I am not so much), Tansley had already taken off her diaper and put on her underpants. She has been good all day, except for our little outing to a park for a picnic, she was too far away from a potty and did not make it. Just now she told me she had to go poops, and did so in the potty. I am so proud of her, and so very glad that she has decided to be a big girl.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't is AWESOME when they finally decide it's time?  Rhiannon was a breeze - after I left her in a dirty diaper for an hour around the time she was two, there was never another incident after that.  Brogan on the other hand ... Well, let's just say I am glad we still weren't buying diapers when he turned FIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea that is sooo awesome!!! I'm so happy for you Mandy, hooray for you. (even though you are the one that's been potty trained for years.) So, I guess Yea Tansley!!

    ReplyDelete