Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Comfort
Yesterday was the coldest day of the winter. Today was 10C colder than that. This morning it was -36C and a windchill dropping temperatures to -43C(which, for my american readers, is the same in fahrenheit). I had one thing on my mind, make warm food. First, soup for lunch. There was no question as to what kind of soup. Potato corn chowder was an obvious choice. I got to work making it. At 12:30pm I had to walk up to the school to pick up Kymberly from Pre-K. The two short blocks was all that I could bear in this kind of weather, even though I was all bundled up in complete winter gear. I was at the school just long enough to recover and then back down the hill for home. I had it planned out perfectly. I had water in the electric kettle already warmed up and ready to pour into the mugs for hot chocolate. The soup was done and simmering on the stove. I popped in a couple of slices of fresh homemade bread to make some toast. Kymberly sipped on her hot chocolate while I dished up the soup and waited for the toast to be done. Then I sat down at the table, dipped my toast into my potato corn chowder and took that first bite. HEAVEN. Suddenly I was sitting at the table in the kitchen of my childhood. Strangely in this vision I was sitting at the end of the table that my dad usually sits, instead of at the opposite end where I always sat. There sat my mother in her usually spot to my right. There are others sitting at the table, but I don't know for sure who they are; I can only assume they are an assortment of my brothers. All I see is my mom and I(in my teenage or young adult years) having a conversation over a bowl of her homemade potato corn chowder soup and fresh baked bread toasted to perfection. It is a good memory and I wished that I could hear what we were talking about. It must have been meaningful for this particular moment to be burned into my memory. I have eaten my mothers chowder on dozens of occasions, and yet, every time I make it and eat it, this is the memory that floods my mind and brings such peace and comfort. Talk about comfort foods, this one is my ultimate favorite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks Mandy I had a flood of memories and a real hankering for Corn Chowder- wished I'd been there for lunch. Wiped a tear or two:) mom
ReplyDelete