Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Orange Muffins

Kymberly wanted to make orange muffins today. So I went to my handy dandy 4-H cookbook and found a recipe. I know, surprise surprise, I didn't first go to Pinterest. But for muffins and the sorts, I find that my handy dandy 4-H cook book is very reliable.
Orange Muffins

1 whole orange
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar

Wash orange and cut into pieces. Place in blender with orange juice. Blend until finely ground. Add margarine and egg; whip gently to mix. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until moistened. Fill greased muffin tine 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes at 400F.

All the measurement were in metric, and though I am Canadian through and through, I don't do so well at baking with measurements in milliliters. Assuming all of you are much like me I did you the favour of converting them into what I consider "normal" baking measurements. This recipe make 12 muffins. We made 6 muffins with the addition of chocolate chips. Either way they were so yummy! I will be making these again.

If you make these muffins, let me know, do you like them better with or with out the chocolate chips?

2 comments:

  1. HI , I have found that using the whole orange makes the muffins bitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that the type of orange you use and how thick the rind is would contribute to the bitterness. It's been awhile since I have made these, but I don't remember mine being bitter at all.

      Delete