My canning season has finally come to a close. I love canning season...not so much the mess of it, but I love filling all my jars. I filled all my jars this year and then some. I think that I had to run to the hardware store at least 5 different time to buy jars, not to mention all the ones that I would pick up randomly at the second hand stores. What this all means is that I filled a lot more jars than I did last year. I was given about 3 dozen empty jars last winter. I filled all of those this year plus of course all the ones we emptied over the year.
Here is the list of all that I did this year
2 pints and 10 half pints of Bumbleberry Jam
7 pints and 4 half pints of Raspberry Jam
12 pints and 1 half pint of Strawberry Jam
4 pints of Plum/blueberry/strawberry Jam
5 pints and 1 half pint of Peach Jam
2 pints and 1 half pint of Peach/Blueberry Jam
8 pints of Crab apple Jelly
5 pints of Pear Jam
13 Pints of Apple/Cranberry Jam
(do you think I'll have enough Jam?)
30 quarts of Peaches
26 quarts of Pears
23 quarts of apple sauce(with crab apples)
12 quarts and 4 pints of apple/pear sauce
14 quarts of crab apple cider
7 quarts of apple pie in a jar
20 pints sweet relish
12 pints Zucchini relish
12 4oz jars of various beet relishes
4 pints pickled beets
8 quarts salsa
11 quarts tomato sauce
about 40 3cup bags of corn were also frozen
and I have a cooler full of fresh garden carrots.
Sadly, no pickles this year...my cucumbers just didn't produce very much. I would have liked to do more tomato sauce, but I ran out of tomatoes. I didn't do as much salsa, but that is because I still had 5 jars left over from last year. It's possible that I may still do another batch of apple pie in a jar...maybe...we might just eat all the apples instead. I was in desperate need of jam, I only had I pint of each of peach, blueberry and crab apple jelly left in my storage room, I think I did a good job of remedying that problem. We'll have relish to eat for the next 5 or so years. All in all a good year. We'll see if we make it through till next summer and make adjustment were necessary. I always keep track of how much I put up so that I know if I need to do more or less of something the next year. With kids growing, we all know how that changes from year to year. I love looking in my storage room at all my pretty shelves. Next year I want to invest in a pressure canner and venture into that world...it could be fun.
Another step to replenishing food storage...Our little local grocery store was having a case lot sale, and since I have been neglecting that part of my food storage for quite some time in order to fund the previously mentioned food storage, I decided to go and take advantage. $245.66 later(and two shopping carts full) I had nearly restocked my mostly empty pantry. It is only a start of course, but now when I open the cupboard I don't feel like there is nothing to make supper out of...always a bonus. Now nobody can say that there isn't anything to eat in the house.
Woooow... You are an artist!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! I am completely devastated by an odd mixture of admiration and jealousy! This is totally my dream pantry. I love the look of fruit in jars and the feeling of having laid up so much in store. And no, I'm not sure you have enough jam! You can never have too much homemade jam! I'm totally coming to visit you.
ReplyDeleteI would be happy to share my jam with you....it is all so yummy. Sometimes toast and jam is all I eat for lunch. Come visit and let me feed you :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't have an Elephant come eat all your canned goods this winter...
ReplyDeleteIt looks beautiful Mandy, great job!
HAHAHAA! that is too funny. I love that book. I have to go get if out of the library now.
ReplyDeletebeautiful Mandy! Doesn't it make you feel so good?! :0
ReplyDeleteI'm with Kimber. I have both admiration and jealousy for your canning.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a garden, jars, the knowledge or the storage for it.
I'll work on three of the four for next spring/summer/fall I think. I mean really ... I can use under the kids beds for storage ... right?