Why is it that every sentence, partial sentence, or utterance must be preceded by "mom"? Every time my children open their mouths to speak the very fist word is always "mom". They may find that they use much less energy speaking if they would just say what they have to say with out pausing in between sentences to have me respond to them with a "yeah" or "is that right" or "really" etc. And then of course, there is the ever popular silence that follows. "Mom?" "yes honey?" "........I don't remember." Do they just need to hear my voice? Make sure I am still within hearing distance? Do they think I am just going to disappear? Not only that, but my three year old will keep repeating what she has
said until I repeat it back to her nearly word for word. Why does she
need to hear me say it to know that I've heard her? Even if I respond
with any other statement she'll say "no" and then repeat what she just
said.
A typical conversation goes something like this
Tansley: "Mom?"
Me: "yeah?"
Tansley: "Mom, do you want to play the grandma game?"
Me: "sure, I'll play the grandma game"
Tansley: "mom, what should I call you?"
Me: "I don't know, what do you want to call me?"
Tansley: "Mom, you can be Jay"
Me: "OK"
Tansley: "mom, you can be Jay"
Me: "OK, I'll be Jay."
Tansley: "Jay, look at this beautiful flower, Do you think it is beautiful?"
Me: "yes it's pretty"
Tansley: "No, do you think it is beautiful?"
Me: "Yes, it's beautiful"
Tansley: "Mom?"
Me: "what?"
Tansley: "Mom, what are you doing?"
Me: "I am hanging laundry"
Tansley: "Mom, I thought we were playing the grandma game."
Me: "I have to finish hanging the clothes."
Tansley: "mom, why are they dirty"
Me: "because people wore them and then got dirty, now they are clean and I am hanging them to dry."
Tansley: "mom?"
Me: "yes Tansley?"
Tansley:" Mom, when are you going to be done?"
There aught to be a limit on how many times a child can say the word "Mom", for the sanity of all Moms!
rofl ... oh my, does that sound familiar! Rhiannon says it so often, I agree, it's like she's just checking to make sure I know what my name is or something. She sometimes will follow up with, "I love you..." but I have a feeling that is just when she realizes I expect something to follow the, "Mom?"
ReplyDeleteMomMomMomMomMomMomMom. This is what my kids do. They don't stop long enough for me to respond, even, forcing me, after I think they are going to go blue in the face, or I'm going to pop every blood vessel in my head, to yell, "WHAAAT?" Just so they can hear me over the MomMomMomMom. And then they look at me like they've just now noticed my existence and they are perplexed to discover someone actually answering to this name. And of course you know what follows. "I forgot" or, my favorite: "Um. Well. I. Mom?" "What" (Calmer now) "Um. Did. Where. Um. Mom, what's . . . for dinner?"
ReplyDeleteI learned how to tune out Mom mom mom mmmmmmOOOOOmmmmm! so Beckham my 4 year old learned that saying my first name (NENA) snaps me back to reality and I'll answer him right away... smart little monkey!-n
ReplyDelete