Thursday, May 29, 2014

Gardening in Stages

I've began making changes to our garden this year. First I made this new composter:
Now I've began working on transitioning to all raised beds. I had enough cinder block hanging around our yard to make one of the raised beds. We then headed to Lethbridge in a borrowed truck to bring home 2 cubic yards of topsoil and garden mix to fill it.
Now I've bought some pvc pipe and plastic sheeting to create a green house in hopes of having more successful tomatoes and finally cucumbers! I've just never been able to get cucumbers to grow well here in Milk River. We are even trying out some watermelon and a small little patch of pumpkins, and one zucchini plant.  We'll see how it all goes this year.
Next year I hope to add to the raised beds and maybe even finish them the way I want. Here is a sketch of the ideal finished garden.
Oh how I love playing in the dirt and growing my own veggies. It brings me so much joy and satisfaction. Here's hoping for a great gardening year!

3 comments:

  1. You will need two zucchini so they can pollinate each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there are actually 2 or 3 seeds hanging out in the hill, We'll see how they do.

      Delete
  2. ...that garden looks perfect...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete