Friday, May 30, 2014

Treasure Hunting in our own yard

Tonight we had a wiener roast in our back yard, Tansley had some friends over, and they were playing in their favourite climbing tree. They've climbed this tree a million times over the years.
There has always been this funny glob of duct tape way up in the tree, and I've always wondered why someone would use duct tape to hold a branch in place. Over the years as the duct tape has deteriorated, I have thought about just pulling it all down. Usually that thought comes while the girls who actually climb up in that tree are at school and I don't have anyone to climb up and pull it down. Tonight, while enjoying this beautiful May evening, Tansley and her friends saw something sticking out of the tape and started to pull it down, and low and behold, it wasn't holding a branch together at all. It was holding a ziploc bag with some notes written by a girl named Robyn, her brother(whose name we couldn't read) and her sister Kayli. The notes were written in August of 2006, and year and a half before we bought this house. The notes were wet and a little moldy, but for the most part we could read them. The kids think this is a great discovery.


The first thing I did was search for them on Facebook. They left us their last name too and enough information to narrow the search. And I'm pretty sure I've found them and have sent them a message letting them know that we have found their notes. I hope we hear back from them so that we can share with them the story on how we found their notes, and why it took us 6 years. I hope this isn't the end of this story. I hope there will be more to share in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment