Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sweet Talker

I head down stairs to get some sewing done. When I get to the bottom of the stairs I can hear talking coming from the girls room. What the heck? Those kids went to bed more than an hour ago. I glance at the clock, it's 10pm for crying out loud. My first reaction is to bust into their room and tell them to GO TO SLEEP, but then I stop and listen.

Kymberly is sobbing. " I just keep hearing the scary Halloween song. It just keeps popping into my head and I get scared!" It is hard to make out exactly what she is saying. Kathryn calmly and sweetly repeats back what Kymberly has said to make sure she understands and Kymberly confirms that she heard correctly. Kathryn then says "Oh sweetheart, just pray to Heavenly Father and ask him to help you stop thinking of the scary song and then sing some primary songs in your head to help you calm down. That's what I do when I have scary thoughts." There is a little more chatter and then I hear Kymberly offer up a simple prayer asking Heavenly Father to help so that the scary Halloween song wont pop into her head and she wont have any bad dreams. Then Kathryn helps her think of some primary songs to sing in her head to help her fall asleep. And that's the last thing that I hear from them. With in minutes I can tell that Kymberly has fallen asleep peacefully.

I knew it. I did. My girls can show incredible patience and love towards one another. It only seems that they increasingly irritate each other. They do in fact love each other and can indeed be kind. Does a momma's heart good to witness such things, both the kindness shown and the complete faith in the power of prayer.

2 comments:

  1. So TRUE Mandy! We just have to trust that innate reality really is in there and focus on it instead of the other. L Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete