Friday, October 25, 2013

Missionary Daughters

Earlier this week Kathryn asked me if we had a Book of Mormon that she could give to her friend. I told her that we did and where she could find it. I then witnessed her write a little note explaining about the book and her testimony. She took the book to school to give to her friend. After school I asked her how it went she was thrilled she told me that she had offered to read it with her if she ever wanted to. A day later, Tansley asks if she could give a Book of Mormon to her friend too. I told her of course she could. She too wrote a note and put it in a gift bag and took it to school to give to her friend. When she came home she was all smiles and told me about how at recess they sat and read some of it together. Today Tansley told me that again today at recess that they read scriptures together. Tansley and another friend from church had brought their scriptures another friend had also brought her bible from her church.So the four of them sat over by the garbage bins away from everyone else because it was more peaceful and thy could talk with out interruption. They even made up some games about following Jesus Christ, something to do with the hop scotch, even numbers were good and odd numbers were bad, and then you had to tell something you could do to stay on the right path. So totally clever. She was just beaming as she was telling me all about her missionary experiences. She told me that she had read a little bit of her friends bible but that she liked the King James version better because it felt more peaceful the way it was written in the "fancy" language. She hopes to invite her friend to church.
I know that her friend attends the River of Life Church. I have to admire my daughter and her boldness. As an adult, I would be far more cautious of "offending" somebody of another faith. In fact I am quiet certain that I wouldn't likely even bring up the subject of religion. I think I must learn something from my own children. In the mean time I am praying that her friends parents won't take offense to the gift, the things my daughter is trying to teach her friend at recess, or the invitation to church. I am praying that their hearts and minds will be open. That there will be no damage done to their friendship. Mostly that only good will come from my daughters efforts. I'm so proud of her for wanting to share what she holds dear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment