.JPG)
This summer we attended the Grant and Ellen Paxman family reunion out at my grand parents farm. Grandpa died in 1996 after a long and painful battle with skin cancer. He was 72yrs old. Too young in my opinion to be taken from us. My children have never know their great grandfather, not in this life at least. I've told them stories before, especially when we visit the farm. But this summer I really wanted them to get to know the man of my childhood. The Grandpa as I remember him. So I searched my mom and dad's photos to find pictures that would help me tell the story, to give them a face to go with my memories. Before heading to the farm, we stopped at the cemetery in Glenwood, Alberta; where grandpa is buried. We pulled out a blanket and sat in the hot sun and told them my stories, hoping that they could learn to know him and love him like I did.
.JPG)
Today, Kathryn came home with this stuck to her shirt. It made me tear up, in fact every time I look at it I begin to cry again. She never met him, never knew him here on the earth, and yet she runs for him. I may have succeeded in my task.
No comments:
Post a Comment