So, my seven year old daughter is an avid thumb sucker. Actually she sucks both of her thumbs. Not at the same time, just whatever one happens to be handy. When we were at the dentist the other day I asked him about putting an appliance in her mouth. He said that because she hadn't yet damaged her teeth with her thumb sucking there wasn't room to put an appliance in. So he suggested that we look for some thumb gloves. My first call was to my sister since her daughter had used one a few years back. She told me that they had just ordered them online but that she couldn't remember the company she bought them from. So I googled it and found a few different brands ranging in price from $11.75-$15 per glove or $20-30 for a pair. Since I need to be able to cover up both thumbs and would like to have at least two pairs it was going to cost me about $40 plus shipping. But when I really started looking at them I decided that I could probably just make some. The ones that I could be bought online were made of different materials. Some were made of lycra, some of 100% cotton. Well I happen to have just a little bit of fabric laying around, so I decided I'd give a try at making a pair.
The first pair I made out of a T-shirt knit and made a button closure. They were alright, but they needed a bit of tweaking. So tweaking I did. The one thing that she mentioned to me after she'd been wearing these ones most of the afternoon, was that they made her thumbs hot and sweaty. I wondered if I used 100% cotton if they would breath a bit, and on top of that we could make all kinds of funky patterned ones. So I let her pick out some fabric from my stash and I went to work. I got them to fit perfect and started using velcro instead of a button because it is faster to finish. I like the look of the button to add some glam, but I figured we could just add some glam of some kind to the finished gloves if we wanted.I told her she needed to come up with a name for them, and thus was born the "Totally Awesome Thumb Savers".
Here she is with her 10 pairs of Totally Awesome Thumb Savers. She thinks they are pretty cool, and so do her sisters, they wish that they could have a pair...crazy kids. Right now she is in love with this idea. I hope it lasts. I'm hoping that by the time school starts that she wont need to wear them all of the time, maybe just a night when she can't stop herself. We'll see how it goes.

Thrifty, cute, fit for purpose, PERFECT! Well done! I've never had a thumb sucking kid, but who knows, I may in the future... thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeleteAs always....you are BRILLIANT!!!! Those are amazing! Great work, miss creative!
ReplyDeleteThose are Awesome!
ReplyDelete~Have a lovely day!