Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What a Hoot.

A few weeks back Kathryn brought home a book that she had borrowed from her teacher. The book came with a note saying that it was a really good book but that there was some language in the book, and that I might want to look it over before letting my 9yr old daughter read it. I perused it and decided that it look like a fun book to read, but that I'd like to read it allowed to Kathryn and Tansley so I could edit when needed.


The book is called "Hoot" written by Carl Hiaasen. Right from the very first page, you are sucked into this book. Roy Eberhardt is the main character, he's the new kid at at Trace Middle school. One day while on the bus Roy sees this boy running bare foot. He is fascinated with the running boy. This fascination gets him into trouble, first with Dana Matherson, the school bully; and later with Beatrice Leep, a rather tough soccer player. But that's not all, there are these owls that need Roy's help. Some how Roy, Beatrice and the running boy will need to out smart a clueless police officer, a construction foreman and the Mother Paula's Pancake House company that plan to build on a vacant lot where the owls live.

The girls loved how the book introduces all of these characters at the beginning with little hints that some how they'll end up being all connected. Each night they would try to guess how they'd end up all tied together. Each night they would beg me to read just a little bit more. There wasn't a dull moment. And really there wasn't all that much language. And nothing too terrible, but I'd just substitute "darn" or just leave it out all together.

This is absolutely a book that I would recommend you anyone, of all ages. It was just a "Hoot" to read.

1 comment:

  1. The movie adaptation is pretty good too. (there is no language in the movie BTW)

    ReplyDelete