
I bought 10lbs of strawberries at a deep discount because 1 or 2 in each container had started to go bad. I wanted them so I could restock my strawberry jam. Done. After I had made 2 batches of jam(and saved some for just eating), I still had some mashed strawberries left over but not enough for another batch of jam.
I decided that I would try a recipe that I had seen on Pinterest for strawberry cupcakes. But after looking at the recipe, I decided that it was too finicky for my liking. So I decided to play around with a my trusty easy white cake recipe(recipe will follow).
Once I had made the strawberry cupcakes I decided that I wanted to make some blueberry ones too. I just happened to have some blueberries in the freezer. Both cupcakes turned out splendid. I didn't like the grayish purple colour of the blueberry ones so I added a little blue food colouring.... apparently too much because they ended up being very blue instead natural looking. After they were baked they were even more blue. But they still tasted good. Next time I will leave out the food colouring and see what they look like.
For the frosting I made a cream cheese frosting with strawberry and blueberry puree respectively. I gave some to a friend for letting me use his US post office box, and then I took some to a family gathering. They were a big hit. The strawberry ones were by far my favorite. The strawberry flavour was just fabulous!
Very Berry Cupcakes
1 cup white sugar2 eggs
1 tbsp vinegar
1 cup milk less one tbsp
3/4 cup pureed strawberries (or berries of choice)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients with an electric mixer. Beat on high for 3-4 minutes. Bake at 350F for 19 minutes for cupcakes or 30 minutes for 9x13 cake.
See I told you this recipe was easy!
Very Berry Cream Cheese Frosting
4oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup pureed strawberries( or berry of choice)
4-5 cups icing sugar
Combine all ingredients with an electric mixer. Beat on high until well blended and creamy.


They look delicious! The frosting is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day!