The first one I tried was the Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast. I followed this recipe exactly, but found that I liked it a little sweeter so ended up adding some brown sugar. I LOVED it with the addition of Brown sugar. I don't like oatmeal(or mush as we called it when I was a kid) at all. I can't stand the texture...ick! But this is a wonderful substitute for oatmeal, without the nasty texture issue.
the recipe, with the addition of brown sugar.
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 apple thinly sliced
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 handful dried cranberries
1/2 handful pecan nuts (or walnuts), slightly toasted
yogurt or cream
Rinse the quinoa. Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a medium sized saucepan.
1/2 handful dried cranberries
1/2 handful pecan nuts (or walnuts), slightly toasted
yogurt or cream
Rinse the quinoa. Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a medium sized saucepan.
Reduce heat and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the apples, raisins and cinnamon. Simmer until the water is absorbed.
While quinoa is cooking, toast the nuts in a dry pan for a few minutes over medium heat.
Sprinkle cranberries and nuts over the quinoa.
While quinoa is cooking, toast the nuts in a dry pan for a few minutes over medium heat.
Sprinkle cranberries and nuts over the quinoa.
Serve warm with dollops of yogurt or cream.
Today I'm also trying out some of her granola recipes, but a little different since I am using ingredients I have on hand. Go check out her Crunchy Quinoa Granola and her Lemon Coconut granola.
Have you ever tried Baked Oatmeal? Me neither until this past weekend. Here's a recipe you should try out. I cam across this Raspberry Baked Oatmeal recipe on Pinterest as well. But I had to tweak it because I didn't have any raspberries on hand. My recipe is as follows.
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Ingredients
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups diced apples
heavy cream, whipped or plain
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a second mixing bowl, whisk together the applesauce, yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry, and add the apples.
Fold gently to combine.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
Serve with cream, whipped or not.
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups diced apples
heavy cream, whipped or plain
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a second mixing bowl, whisk together the applesauce, yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry, and add the apples.
Fold gently to combine.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
Serve with cream, whipped or not.
I made this the night before and then popped it in the oven when I heard my kids were out of bed the next morning. Everybody loved it. We did add some brown sugar to it after we served it up. This is one that I'll certainly make again.
Alright now how about Refrigerator Oatmeal? Anybody given that a try? No, me neither. But I think I will some time. Once again I stumbled upon the idea on Pinterest. Go check out the recipes. If you try it out, tell me what you think. I'm a little scared to try it...but then I was also a little scared to try the baked stuff, and I ended up loving that.
No comments:
Post a Comment