Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My very helpful "helpers"

Today was peach canning day. I had 120lbs of peaches that needed to be peeled sliced and put in jars. I started the job while James was napping and Kymberly was busy talking to herself and her toys in the living room. After I had been at it for quite some time Kymberly asked if she could help me can peaches. So I got my handy dandy step stool and pushed it up to the sink and showed her how to peel the peaches. She was a good helper, but true to her ways she was amazing at getting water EVERYWHERE. No problem. I just put a towel down on the floor beneath her to keep the mess to a minimum(not that canning peaches isn't already a messy job). She would come and go helping here and there. Then James woke up. He crawled around on the kitchen floor entertaining himself as he always does. But then he spotted the step stool. He LOVES to climb the step stool. So he did just that.
He LOVED splashing in the water, adding to the water mess his sister had already made.
Just what do you think he's going to do with that peach?
Eat it of course!
Once I let him have one peach and he wanted down from his high chair he climbed right back up the step stool and went fishing for another peach. He was fast and it wasn't all that easy to keep him from taking a bite out of every one he caught. Finally Kathryn came home from school and I had her to help keep him busy so he would stop trying to steal all the peaches.

It was a fabulous afternoon of canning. When all was said and done I had put up 51 quart jars of peaches. Pears will be next, as soon as I buy some in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment