Thursday, September 15, 2011

ABC

So this morning I thought I'd make some muffins to have for after school snack and to freeze for lunches. I got out a bag of frozen bananas and thought that banana muffins would be delightful. I then turned to my handy dandy 4H cook book and turned to the banana muffin section. I noticed that there were a few recipes that I hadn't yet tried and decided to give a new one a try. And then I saw the A.B.C. Muffins recipe and read through it. It sounded different and yummy and I had all the ingredients on hand(which is usually the case with the recipes from the 4H cook book). First I had to go dig some carrots out of my garden for the "C". I then got some apples from the garage that I had picked off of a neighbours tree for the "A". I already had the frozen bananas in the microwave defrosting to be used for the "B".

Here's the recipe

A.B.C. Muffins

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup bran
2 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1 cup grated apple
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 cup grated carrots

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and bran together; set aside. In a seperate bowl mix eggs, sugar, oil and apple juice. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Make sure to stir out any lumps. Add grated apple, mashed banana and grated carrots. Stir thoroughly. Bake at 325F for 15-20 minutes.

As I am typing this up I have realised that I did not add any baking powder, I only used baking soda. Also I didn't use the apple juice I thought that the mixture looked moist enough. I have to confess, I didn't follow the directions as stated. I mixed the apple, carrots and bananas together(a big thanks to Krista for the food processor she left us when she headed back to Texas, it was a real time saver today) and then I added the eggs, oil and sugar. I mixed that all together and then added the dry ingredients. It looked perfect the way that it was so I just left out the apple juice. The whole time we were making them Kymberly kept wanting to know when they would look like the letters "A", "B", and "C". I tried to explain that  apple began with "A" and banana began with "B" and carrot began with "C" and that is why they were called ABC muffins. But she wanted them to look like the letters.
The muffins, that don't look like ABC's
Because I am a spaz, I dropped the first pan out of the oven on the floor and about half of them dumped out on to my very unclean-just-made-applesauce-sticky-messy floor. The other half survived and luckily, though not pretty, they still taste yummy.
the surviving muffins I dropped

No comments:

Post a Comment