Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Too close for comfort

I came home this morning from dropping off Tansley at pre-school and running a few errands to the smell of melting plastic. You know, like the smell that you get when you accidentally put a plastic bowl on a hot element. There was nothing on the stove and all the elements were off. I followed my nose down the stairs to the basement. I remembered that in the middle of the night Tansley had come and told me that the light in the bathroom downstairs was burnt out, but in the morning she told me it was working again. So I started my search in there, immediately I knew I must be in the right place. The light was on, but very dim. I turned the light off and went to take the cover off, but it was hot to the touch, not a good sign. I grabbed a towel and then loosened the screws and took off the cover, and the smell of melting plastic was even stronger. I unscrewed the bulb and could see the blackened ring. Again, not a good sign. I called Daniel at work to let him know what was going on, and he suggested that I make sure that the kids don't turn the switch on at all, so I put a piece of tape over the light switch.  When Daniel got home and took the ceiling fan down(don't ask my why there is a ceiling fan in the bathroom, it was there when we moved in and we have meant to replace it, but just haven't yet got around to it...we will now), this is what we found.

melted wires and plastic
One of the wires was melted right through, and a good part of the plastic ring was reduced to ash. Sickening and scary. I was only gone for an hour this morning...any longer and I could have come back to nothing. Thankfully, somebody was looking out for us today.

I know my Heavenly Father loves me, because, today, my house didn't burn down.

3 comments:

  1. I actually shuddered. Not in this family; not again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary! Thank the Lord I have never had to deal with a fire myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is scary.  We had a celing fan do that to us as well.  What the heck?! 

     

    Glad you are all good and safe.  Yes, Heavenly Father loves us and watches us.  What sweet assurance, to know that.

    ReplyDelete