Friday, February 19, 2010

The things I don't hear.

Kathryn likes to sit at the piano and find notes that sound good when played together. When she finds a grouping she likes, she'll play them over and over again, sometimes making up a song with just that chord. Today, she did just that. I was sitting here at the computer doing something and all I heard was a rhythmic pounding noise. I was about to ask her to do something else, when Daniel suddenly appeared from the bedroom and said "Keep doing that!". It startled both me and her and she stopped playing. He told her to keep doing what she was doing, but she couldn't remember what two notes she had been playing, so Daniel, plunked them out and told her to play them again like she had been doing. So she obeyed and started her rhythmic pounding, He directed her to go a little slower, and then a little faster and when she got it just right, he started playing "St Elmo's Fire". And then I could hear what he had heard, those two notes and the rhythm that she was playing them was like the intro to the "St. Elmo's Fire" song, before all I could hear was noise, but Daniel could hear the music. They played quite the duet. If I'd had my camera at hand I would have recorded it. Kathryn was beaming from ear to ear and Daniel was doing what he does when it comes to playing the piano.

That all being said, I don't always have Daniel here to hear the music in the notes that she is playing, and for the most part it is just noise to me. I think that we really need to take the time to teach this girl some piano so that she at least has some recognizable(to me) music to play.



1 comment: