Saturday, January 30, 2010

Teaching music

Kathryn has been wanting to learn to play the piano for about a year now. Daniel wants to be the one to teach her...and really why not? He is certainly talented enough, not to mention that the lessons would be free. The problem is in finding time to arrange these lessons and being dedicated to it.
The other day at while we were visiting my parents house, Kathryn found a piano lesson book and she was trying to teach herself, and not doing to badly at it. That got me thinking that maybe I need to at least have somethings that she can work on by herself when she is feeling so motivated. I decided that the next time I was at my mom's house, I would see what kind of beginners lesson books she still had. However, today she was sitting at the piano trying to plunk out the beginning to twinkle twinkle little star. She finally plunked it out. At that moment I was doing a little google searching(on an unrelated topic), and a light bulb went off in my head. I am musically inclined enough to teach my daughter music theory. I could at least teach her how to read music and to play some really basic piano. All I need is some material to work with, that is where google comes in. I searched "music theory for beginners" and found a few sights to help get us started.
Free music theory work sheets
Making Music fun
Music Fun
When she...and I are ready to start some basic piano playing I found these sights to assist
Free Piano Music
Music for music teachers-Beginner piano music for kids
I decided that I had to take action, I can not deny her the chance to learn what is naturally in her any longer. So I am doing what I can, it isn't really a lot, but it will at least give her something to work with, and maybe give us all a bit of motivation to make time for some regular sit down lessons with dad.

3 comments:

  1. This site:


    http://musicnotes.com/


    Has an amazing array of cheap sheet music and for all types.  I have yet to search for a song they don't have in several options!  :)  Maybe that will help as well.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Weird. I did the same thing this week and came up with the same sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm...yeah that is a little weird. do you think that has anything to do with the fact that we share the same DNA?....probably not, eh?

    ReplyDelete