Monday, May 4, 2009

Birthday Cake Blunder

I thought I was being oh so smart when I started backing Tansley's birthday cake last night. First of all, I would be able to do it with out the "help" of the children, second it would have plenty of time to cool over night so that I could decorate it in the morning.
one of my favorite things to bake a cake in
Tansley wanted a beehive cake. No problem I have this glass measuring bowl that I have frequently baked cakes in and have never had a problem....until last night. I did everything like I usually do. Used the same recipe, baked it for the same amount of time, poked it with my really long cake poker to test if it was done. And yet when it was time to turn the cake out...something was wrong. The cake was not coming out of the bowl. It always comes out easily, what is going on? So I stick a knife up the side...and then I realize that the bottom is not cooked all the way...and out comes the cake. Not only is the bottom not baked...neither is the middle, and now I have a volcano cake...and a big mess.
Volcano..that's been picked in
So I put the volcano cake in a cake pan and put it back in the oven to finish baking it. It was 11pm and I didn't want to start a new cake. The only thing that I can think of was that I used different margarine than I usually do. I don't know. But I really didn't want to try it again this morning. When Tansley saw the Volcano sitting on the counter she asked what happened to her cake. I told her I had a problem last night. I asked her if I could make her a different cake. She said that she wanted a flower cake. I can do that. I went to the grocery store and bought different margarine to make a new cake...a square cake and cupcakes. and this is what the final project looks like. Oh yes, I have some butterflies on wires to stick in it to make it look like they are flying around it.
Flower Power

2 comments:

  1. ... .the flower cake looks REALLY cute!
    Too bad about the beehive :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I swear, I can make bread three times a week, 52 weeks a year and about ten percent of the time it just DOES NOT WORK. The imps in your kitchen, I tell you. Sneaky little devils.

    ReplyDelete