Yesterday afternoon I made everyone have a nap or at least quiet time. We had been over at a friends house the night before to play games and just have a fun time. We didn't get home until after 10pm. Kymberly was exhausted by the time we got home from church, Tansley was wearing pretty thin as well. Kathryn insisted she wasn't tired. I said that it was fine if she didn't want to nap, but I wanted her to have a quite time, no TV, no Computer games. She could read a book or make a craft. She asked if she could prepare a lesson for Family Home Evening. She said that we hadn't had FHE for a few months so we needed to do it again. She was right. It has been awhile since we have done a formal sit down FHE. We always spend Monday's together, but since that is Daniel's day off, we often go out and do things. The lesson part of FHE gets neglected. Nothing like a six year old calling you out on something. I told her that it would be great if she prepared the lesson for FHE. Not only did she do the lesson, but she made all the assignments and wrote them on the white board.
So today FHE was all organized. Tansley was assigned to do the treat so I helped her make apple crisp. Kathryn took control of the entire thing. While I was making supper, she cleaned up the living room so that we could gather there for FHE. After supper she called us all together, welcomed us, and assigned me to say the prayer. She then asked us all what was going on this coming week. After the weeks agenda was discussed, she asked everyone to get ready for the lesson. The lesson was on children and Adam and Eve. She had found a picture in the most recent Friend of Jesus sitting with some children. She told us to look at it and talked about it for awhile and then set it on the piano so that we could look at it through out the lesson. She had made puppets that she used to tell the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. She then asked me to read a story out of the Friend. After that she had a treasure hunt set up as the activitie. She helped Tansley do that while I got dessert dished up. Then we all enjoyed some dessert. It was a spectacular FHE. I was super impressed with all of her preperation. This kid has got some teaching potential in her along with plenty of other wonderful traits. I'm feeling all teary eyed just thinking about it all. She is growing up, and she's keeping me in line. Through the month of December we had slacked off with reading scriptures in the morning as a family. It was Kathryn who insisted we start doing it again. Infact she got started us back in the habit by insisting that she read the scriptures herself. What is a mom to say to that? I can't very well tell her that we don't have time. The only thing that I could do was make sure we had time for her to read a verse. And from there we have got back in the habit. She is really a good kid, even if she teases her little sister alot. Big sister perogative I guess.
Rhiannon is always me constant prayer reminder. It's rather humbling to have our children remind us of what we all should automatically do.
ReplyDelete