Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Court Family Reunion at Writing On Stone

Last summer I decided that I wanted to plan a Court Family Reunion(Dan's mom and her 5 boys) because every summer we never seem to be able to all get together and have the cousins hang out. Sometimes a last minute get together is attempted, but we always seem to be missing somebody. So I took on the challenge. Back in February I had booked the group camp site at Writing on Stone with the dates we had thought would work. But as the date drew closer, unforeseen circumstances made it so that people had to cancel. So I canceled the group site and just told everyone that Daniel and I would be camping and if anyone wanted to come they could find us their. It ended up being just us and Grandma Kaye(Dan's mom) camping. The weather was perfect, not to hot but plenty hot enough to enjoy your time at the beach. Tuesday afternoon Dan's brother Rob and his wife and kids joined us for an afternoon on the beach and for a hotdog roast for supper complete with smores.
P1020021P1010969
Daniel and Rob and Stu(Rob's brother in law) went for a float on the river on some inner tubes. The rest of us waited for them on the beach. We had a lot of fun and I wished that we had one more day to spend there, but alas, we had a wedding to get to.

P1010921P1010953P1010947P1010942P1010940P1010927

P1020037P1020035P1020007P1010985P1010978

So that was my attempt at a family reunion. Not a complete failure,but 2 out of 5 is still less than 50%. I likely wont be trying that again for a few years. It was difficult and frustrating, and times felt like I was the only one that wanted it to happen at all. But what can you do when things come up that are out of your control? Try to make the best of it by simplifying it to one day. But even that seemed to be to much. Oh well for those of us who were their, we had fun and the weather was great and the kids played and played in the sand. I liked camping so close, the quick drive was nice for the kids. Daniel didn't like that he was packing and unpacking the van so close together. I look forward to next summer and doing some more camping down at Writing on Stone.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister, I hear you!
    I planned a family reunion this summer for all my Jones cousins.  I planned it to happen in either BC or Alberta and I STILL heard complaining about this that and the other. 
    Turns out my grandmother passed away the same weekend that the reunion was to happen ... so we had a funeral instead of a camp out.  Probably for the best - I only had THREE cousins saying they were coming.
    Out of over 20. 
    Bah!
    I said the same thing you did, "I probably won't be doing this again..."


    ReplyDelete