Thursday, July 13, 2017

A birthday poem

It's All That

When I grow up,
I'll be like the way you are.
Look at the world through a mama's eyes,
Smile at it with that charm.
I'll hug my husband close,
And cuddle my children closer.

Ain't that what it is?
A mother's love,
Starting at home,
Spreading through the world,
On a glimmer of hope.
And I know it's not easy.
I'm sorry for that.
A mother's love,
Is all that.

I'll hear my kids calling mama,
Repeatedly until I watch.
Drive myself crazy,
Looking for a silly pen,
That sat in front of me,
For hours on end.

Ain't that what it is?
A mother's love,
Starting at home,
Spreading through the world,
On a glimmer of hope.
And I know it's not easy,
I'm sorry for that.
A mother's love,
Is all that.

Just like you,
I'll have to learn as I go.
Growing from my mistakes,
While I help my kids grow.
I'll listen to their problems and pains.
They will ramble on and on,
About the crushes they've gained.

Ain't that what it is?
A mother's love,
Starting at home,
Spreading through the world,
On a glimmer of hope.
And I know it's not easy,
I'm sorry for that.
A mother's love,
Is all that.

And when my kids are all grown up,
I'll still look through a mama's eyes,
And smile with that charm.
I'll keep my family close,
And watch the home videos.
Still drive myself crazy,
Trying to find a silly pen.
I'll forever be growing,
And always be listening.

Ain't that what it is?
A mother's love,
Starting at home,
Spreading through the world,
On a glimmer of hope.
And I know it's not easy,
I'm sorry for that.

A mother's love,
Is all that.

By Kathryn Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment