Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines day...the rivalry continues.

I used to not make a big deal out of Valentines day. Then I had kids, and those kids started going to school. Suddenly Valentines day started to mean something. We have always made hand made Valentines for the kids to hand out at school.  Nothing overly fancy. Just something simple that the kids can do themselves. A few years back I decided that it would be fun if we made valentines to give to everyone in our immediate family. We made fancy Valentine pockets to put our valentines in. I made some home made valentines for the kids...daddy came home with helium balloons. And so the rivalry began.

This year when February hit the kids started asking me how I planned to out do dad this year. I told them that it wasn't worth trying, Dad is always going to be cooler than me. They agreed with that, and reminded me how last year all I got them were some Valentines pencils that I had picked up from our ward's Sweetheart Dinner the week before. Dad on the other hand bought them stuffed animals, chocolate and a gift certificate to Beaners to get their hair cut. In my defense I was 9 months pregnant and scheduled to be induced the very next day. I think I qualified for a year off.

While I played into there teasing and taunting, I secretly had a plan. I bought the girls some super sappy valentines cards and wrote super sappy messages about how proud I am of them and all that they are and all that they do, and how much I love them. Then I hid them among the Valentines that they would be handing out at school. I also spent the past few nights creating miniature stuffed animals. They turned out amazing!

I left them out on the kitchen table to be found in the morning. Daddy bought the big girls potted mini roses and chocolate. James got an angry bird pillow with chocolate and Ella a new super comfy blanket and pillow. 
The kids loved everything, and I think it's fair to say that I redeemed myself this year.

1 comment:

  1. You two are going to spoil those kids hehehe. What a fantastic Valentine's day "tradition". Love it!

    ReplyDelete