Saturday, February 1, 2014

Going Shampoo-less

So the other day I saw a post of Facebook about not shampooing your hair. Instead you use Baking Soda as a wash and Apple Cider Vinegar as a conditioner (can't find the link for the life of me). I've read about this method before and thought about trying it, but I was a skeptic, and it sounded complicated...finding that perfect balance of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. At the time, I wasn't up for the challenge. But when I read this post the other day, it was so simple. Just put baking soda on your wet hair. Massage into scalp. Rinse. Put 1tbsp apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and poor over hair. Let sit for a minute or so. Rinse. Done.
 I haven't been happy with my hair for awhile now. I keep switching my shampoo, trying to find something that leaves my hair feeling soft and looking great, but just when I find one, a couple of weeks later, I'm right back to where I was before. I know some swear by salon grade shampoo, but I am just not willing to pay the prices. So when I saw this post I thought, what the heck, the next time I shower, I'll give it a try.
Now I generally only wash my hair every 4 or 5 days, keep that in mind. If you are use to washing your hair more frequently than this, you are likely to have a very different experience. I stepped into the shower, wet my hair, applied about 1/4 cup baking soda (I have A LOT of hair) massaged it in to the roots. Rinsed. Dipped the ends of my hair in the cup of water and apple cider vinegar and let soak for a bit and then dumped the remainder over my head, and let it sit while I finished washing the rest of me. Then I rinsed. I always let my hair dry naturally. I have dead straight hair that doesn't do anything but hang there and I am never in that big of a hurry to go somewhere that I need to have it dry right away. When my hair was completely dry, I was amazed! I can't remember the last time my hair felt this soft! I had read the warning about the "Transition Stage" and how you should be prepared for crappy hair for awhile, but that so isn't the case for me. It is a little more static-y than usual, so I plan on looking into what kind of solutions there are for that. But other than that, I am amazed. So far so good. I plan to keep at this. Imagine the savings!
In my searching for the post that inspired me to just do it, I came across this FB group called No Poo (no shampoo) & Low Poo Hair Care Group, which led me to this website, coderedhat.com. The website has tonnes of info about this method and other treatments to go along with it. So I'll file it away so that if I ever come across any problems, I can check back for what possible solutions there may be.

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try this! I know a couple of friends that poo free and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I gotta try that! I have a ton of hair as well. It would be nice to make the switch to a more natural wash. As for static, I'm terrible for taking a regular dryer sheet and rubbing it on the static - seriously takes the static right out (although I would recommend using a non scented one or you might smell like spring breeze or mountain fresh for awhile hehehe

    ReplyDelete