Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just Write #5 - My Redneck Son

We were just hanging out outside. James was playing in the wading pool, I was sitting with Ella in the shade. This is what I love about summer. Just sitting, enjoying my yard, watching my kids play. James calls to me, "Mom, a beaver." He calls gophers beavers for some reason, and he had found a dead one on the grass. Why is there a dead one in our yard? Well you can thank our cats for that. Apparently mice and birds are not enough of a challenge so they have moved on to gophers. I found just one last year and one the year before that, that the cats had got. This one is number 3 for the summer...and we are just getting started. I couldn't go clean it up right then because I was holding Ella, so I told him to not touch it and I'd get it later. A little later he comes to me with a wiener roasting stick and says "Mom, I cook a beaver?". Oh boy, I do believe I have a redneck son. What a kid. I decided I'd better set Ella down and clean up the gopher, after all it is garbage day and the garbage truck hadn't been by yet, better get it out with the garbage before they do come, dead gophers can get really stinky. So I go and scoop it up, and find the head of another gopher with just a few guts. Gross. There's #4. Nobody can say that we're not doing our part to control the gopher population in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment