Thursday, April 18, 2013

The imagination of a child

Lately James has decided that his hands are actually spiders. Those two spiders keep that boy entertained for hours. They crawl into things. They crawl up his shirt. They crawl up your arm and into your hair. They play hide and seek. They tickle his belly and sometimes mine. They talk in funny voices. They are indestructible  you can squish them over and over again and they just keep coming back to life.They go everywhere he does and they never get lost. In short, they are pretty much the best toy ever.
Today he sat on my lap while I held a sleeping Ella and we played spiders. He would put my hand in his cupped hand and say "look at the little spider. He's so cute" and then he would squish my spider and giggle. This went on and on and on and he never got tired of the game and since I was holding a sleeping baby, I had all the time in the world to have my spiders repeatedly squished and petted. I love his imagination.

Kymberly had much the same kind of imagination at that age. She would keep herself entertained with  any two random objects. They would come to life and have conversations and go on all kinds of adventures. At dinner time her spoon and fork would talk to each other. And if she didn't have anything her fingers worked just as well,  she would often play hide and seek with them. One set of fingers would count while the other would hide. It was hilarious to watch.

I love having kids that have figured out how to entertain themselves, it makes life a little easier. But mostly I just love to listen to them tell their silly stories and play their silly games while they think that nobody is listening to them or paying any attention to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment