Friday, November 9, 2012

Take Time to Remember

Today we braved the crazy snow and traveled the two blocks up to the school for the Remembrance day ceremony. In order to get the van out I had to first brush off two feet of snow from the front end, then shovel all of that snow plus the snow that had drifted in around the van just so we could get into the van. But it was all worth it.

As we stood to sing the national anthem, the actions of a soldier caught my eye. It wasn't anything new, I've seen it done before, by this exact soldier in fact. He is one of Milk River's own, a young man in his early 20's who serves in the RCA. Today he was the only one of his kind, and we only had one veteran, the weather wasn't cooperating I guess. Anyways, as we stood to sing, this soldier stood briskly, pivoted to face the flag then stood at attention and saluted the flag. I could see every muscle in his body was taut as he stood frozen in time. Today, this struck a cord and I was too emotional to even attempt to sing. What a gift, to have such young men serving our country today.

Kathryn was asked to recite the famous poem "In Flanders Fields". She came home so excited. We sat down and read through it discussing what each line meant and how she could say it with the feeling. She wrote notes on her copy. I expressed to her that this was a great responsibility that she had been given, that this poem was very important to a lot of people. I encouraged her to try to memorize it. In a matter of a day or two she had it memorized and was practicing trying to say it not too fast and with just the right emotion. I think she did amazing.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Mandy. It is so important for us all to always remember the sacrifices and service of the veterans and soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Mandy... it was goat waste... is that bad? Maybe we will use this for our flower garden out front. Thanks for the advice.
    P.S. Good for Kathryn! I am glad she did so well!

    ReplyDelete