Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Saying no
I think my husband would be proud of me. I just said no to a friend of a friend that needed help sewing a jacket for a wedding this weekend, the only hitch was that it needed to be done this afternoon. I probably could have done it easily....but I wanted to spend this gorgeous afternoon with my fabulous girls and I wasn't sure that James would be completely cooperative, we had a long night...look at me, I'm making excuses to make me feel better for saying no. I don't do it often. I would have liked the extra $40 or $60 that I would have charged her for my quick service....but in the end I didn't think that giving up this perfect afternoon was worth the money. That may be a bit selfish of me, but I think I am entitled to a little selfishness when it comes to spending time with my kids...so why do I feel so guilty?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No is a good word. I think that saying it should not induce guilt, but as women we often feel it anyway. :) Good for you, spending time with family is #1 as far as I am concerned.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the question mommies always have in their heads? We don't want to say no. We want to feel like we're contributing financially to our families. We want to be liked and be helpful to everyone in need.
ReplyDeleteBut time with the kiddoes is much more important than all of those things. They only grow up once and there will only be that one June 28th, 2011 afternoon. You made the right decision.
I had to say no the other week about watching another little girl for just an hour or so. Because it was right in the middle of the time I had planned to take the kids to play at the YMCA bounce houses. They looked forward to it all week. I felt a little bad, but then I found out it was the last one until the fall, then I felt better.
ReplyDeleteYou're still a good person!! And a fabulous momma!
Ahhh - Mandy my dear, would you have felt guilty for saying, 'no' to your girls? If saying yes to the jacket would mean a 'no' of any sort to your family I commend your decision. True we can always say no - but you don't ... Sometimes I say yes to so many things that I find things I want and value most have been pushed out of my life or priorities.
ReplyDelete