I yelled at my oldest daughter this morning. She was acting ridiculous, and I lost my cool. She left for school crying. As I sat and fed James breakfast, I felt terrible. No girl should head off to school crying because her mom yelled at her. They should leave the house with a smile, knowing that mom loves them and will try to solve any problem, regardless of how ridiculous it may seem to mother. I failed this morning. But as I sat at the table I had an idea. Amanda over at I am Baker is always making cookies for every occasion, so I thought that I could make an "I am sorry cookie" and take it up to the school to leave on Kathryn's desk while she is out at recess. Then she'll come back in to school and have a nice fun surprise on her desk. Kymberly and I made sugar cookies and I used up some of the coloured icing I have left over from James' Birthday cake(which I have a lot of in a variety of different colours). And this is what I came up with.
I chose a smiling sunny face for two reasons.
1) I had plenty of yellow and orange icing.
2) It's cloudy and raining today, and we all could use a little more sun in our life....especially my sad little girl. :(
I know this won't make what I did better, or any more right. But I hope that it will brighten her day, and when she gets home I'll give her a nice big hug and tell her I am sorry. And then I will try to be a better mom.
Great idea on the cookie. It looks wonderful. Don't beat yourself up though. We all make bad parenting decisions, and the kids live and grow well anyway. You're a great mom and she will forgive you because she knows you love her.
ReplyDeleteThat is so nice of you! Cute cookie.
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet!...and I think it's so important for our children to hear us say we're sorry...sometimes adults get this 'I can't ever be wrong' attitude...and it makes it hard for children to grow up knowing how to say I'm sorry and how to forgive when someone else says they're sorry...you definitely did the right thing...and your cookie is adorable!
ReplyDelete