I have this box. I love this box. I love the colour of the stain on this box and it looks nice with the colour of the piano(not to mention easier to take with me to the hardware store to find a match). I plan to stain the shelving unit this colour, hopefully with some of the same colour variations as this box. I've never stained anything before, so I am kinda, sorta scared that I am going to screw it up. Tomorrow I'll start sanding the shelves.
I bought a piece of masonite to fit the back of my shelving unit. The original plan was to wallpaper it(thanks to Kim's idea). However, being a newbie at this, I had no idea where to find wallpaper at a cheap price, and the stuff I did find, I didn't like. So I came home Saturday frustrated and not knowing what I was going to do. Then I happened to check out my sister-in-law's blog and was led to her sister's blog and found this great idea. I was inspired!
But in different colours...which is still up for debate...because honestly, I haven't a clue what to do. I like the chocolate brown, but then what do I put with it? I thought about using a similar blue and copper that are already in my room, but then maybe that is too much. So then I thought about using just different shades of brown that will match the stain. And then I started thinking that maybe the argyle pattern would be too busy as a back drop for my pretty things and picture frames. I always clear that stuff off my shelves at Christmas and put up my Nativity collection and I wasn't sure if I would like the argyle behind them. So then I was thinking that maybe instead of doing three colours, I would just do a brown with the light tan lines....or maybe the tan with brown lines. But maybe....oh forget it. I just such a wimp. I have no idea what colours to put together, I'm afraid that whatever I do will look awful. I'm not as brave as this person and her fabulous red and brown shelf, although I LOVE it. I would totally put it in my house, but I'm not brave enough to make it, forget even coming up with the idea in the first place. Or how about this one, it's my sis-in-law's fabulous project. What I need is someone to talk me into doing something brave. So go ahead, tell me to be brave...or better yet, just tell me what colour/pattern/texture to paint the back. I'll do whatever you tell me.
being the brave painter of the red bookshelf (which was actually my husbands idea!) i thought i would shoot some advice your way! since your digging the chocolate brown (love it), i would paint it a solid brown in a MATTE finish, then buy the same color paint in HIGH GLOSS, and paint on some swirls, or stripes, or argyle or whatever. it will give it some pattern and life, yet be subtle enough not to drown out the objects you're wanting to display. you can see an example of how i used this technique in my kitchen. http://www.sawdustandembryos.com/2010/07/our-kitchen-reveal.html
ReplyDeletegood luck! send me after pics!!
Oooh--I love Bethany's idea--she has got some red hot awesome taste. Trust her for great ideas. I can't wait to see what you come up with!! :o)
ReplyDelete