Tuesday, July 21, 2009

You all should go too

Yesterday Daniel decided that we should all take a little drive to Etzikom. Where is Etzikom you ask? Good question. 
Does this sign help at all?...No?
Does this sign help at all?...No? 
It is in the middle of nowhere or right here to be exact. It is a quaint little hamlet. All the yards were really well kept, the street signs were really cool looking made of iron, I would guess hand made by somebody in the community. So why go to Etzikom? Well Etzikom is the home to the Canadian National Historic Windpower Center.


The official signDaniel thought it would be fun to go see some old windmills and really he is always up for taking a drive to somewhere, anywhere. So why not go where there might be something to actually look at? I wasn't really expecting very much, just a field with a bunch of windmills and such. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The Old school has been turned into a museum. The displays there were amazing. The museum features artifacts and antiques relating to the homesteading days of Southern Alberta. I love old things. I love looking at them, but even more I love being able to touch them. To look through an old ledger book, or school grammar. To put on an old hat or feel what that old quilt made from old socks feels like. To feel the weight of an old Iron or to run my fingers along the hem of an old arm uniform. To flip through the pages of a brand book to see if I could find some familiar names from 1916. This museum has so many fascinating things, even in the entrances to thebathrooms there were displays. I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the museum because I figure if you really want to see what is in it, you need to go see it for yourself. It is a gem.

Yucca moths and soap weedOut side the museum we learned a bit about yucca moths and soapweed, and how very important they are to each other and the area....interesting. We then walked around the 1/4 mile self guided tour of the windmills. Here are some pictures.





The Windmill Museum
The Windmill Museum
My Favorite one
My Favorite one
Windmill
Windmill
Kathryn and Tansley standing at the base of the windmill
Kathryn and Tansley standing at the base of the windmill

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great time!
    I guess I'll just have to wait till next summer to see INSIDE the museum ;)

    ReplyDelete