Ever since winter started to give way to spring I have been looking forward to planting my garden this year. Mainly because all I would have to do is plant it. I stared my cucumbers and pumpkins indoors this year in my fish tank(that has been without fish since we moved), so I was able to avoid the garden critters eating my seeds. This year I took my brothers ingenious idea and picked up more than two dozen 5 gallon ice cream buckets from Booster Juice, free of charge(it took 3 separate trips to gather enough). These buckets replaced the milk jugs and created a bigger hothouse for my tomatoes and cucumbers and pumpkins to live happily in. The week before May long, I put out my cucumbers, and pumpkins. The week after I planted everything else.
Monday, June 8, 2009
The Garden Project, year #2
Do you remember all the work I had to go through last year before I could even plant my garden? If not you can read all about it here. I was later than usual getting things planted...especially my cucumbers(darn garden critters). But all in all I had a great harvest(with the exception of my cucumbers).
Ever since winter started to give way to spring I have been looking forward to planting my garden this year. Mainly because all I would have to do is plant it. I stared my cucumbers and pumpkins indoors this year in my fish tank(that has been without fish since we moved), so I was able to avoid the garden critters eating my seeds. This year I took my brothers ingenious idea and picked up more than two dozen 5 gallon ice cream buckets from Booster Juice, free of charge(it took 3 separate trips to gather enough). These buckets replaced the milk jugs and created a bigger hothouse for my tomatoes and cucumbers and pumpkins to live happily in. The week before May long, I put out my cucumbers, and pumpkins. The week after I planted everything else.

This year more than any, those buckets have been a life saver(for tomatoes and cucumbers). We are 8 days into June and we have already faced 5 frost warnings and a day of snow. Luckily, my beans have survived the cold weather so far. I planted peas and radishes the first week in May and they are coming along slowly, but doing fine.
Ever since winter started to give way to spring I have been looking forward to planting my garden this year. Mainly because all I would have to do is plant it. I stared my cucumbers and pumpkins indoors this year in my fish tank(that has been without fish since we moved), so I was able to avoid the garden critters eating my seeds. This year I took my brothers ingenious idea and picked up more than two dozen 5 gallon ice cream buckets from Booster Juice, free of charge(it took 3 separate trips to gather enough). These buckets replaced the milk jugs and created a bigger hothouse for my tomatoes and cucumbers and pumpkins to live happily in. The week before May long, I put out my cucumbers, and pumpkins. The week after I planted everything else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey...are the lids/bottoms still on the buckets?
ReplyDeleteno, they are just shoved into the ground.
ReplyDelete