I fear that my last post was somewhat misunderstood. I may have sounded like I was ungrateful or complaining. That was not my intent. I was touched that this sister wanted to help me out. I have turned her down before when she has asked if she could help(as I do with anybody). I think she just figured me out....if you are going to offer your help to me, you need to just tell me that you are going to do it, don't bother asking, just do it.
Let me share a few examples.
1) January 2005, I am five months pregnant and getting ready to move from Edmonton to Lethbridge at the end of the month. Every Sunday we drive an elderly sister, who lives in the same complex as us, to church. She continues to tell me that if I need someone to watch Kathryn while I pack that she would do it. I never take her up on that offer. With less than two weeks left before the move, this kind sister calls me up and says "You haven't yet taken me up on my offer. So this is what I am going to do...". She sends her cleaning lady over to my place for half a day. She flat out tells me that I can't say no. She just wants to know which day will work best for me, and that she is paying for the service.
2) Two days before the afore mentioned move, my sister-in-law, who also lives in Edmonton, calls me up and tells me that my brother will stop by our place on his way home from work to pick up Kathryn to come and stay with them for the next few days and that they will bring her back when they come to help load the truck on moving day. I would have never asked her to do this...and she knew it.
3) December 2006, I am serving as the RS president in my old ward. I am two months pregnant with my third and suffering from hormone headaches. Daniel is working a full time job and a part time job as well as coaching basketball. I sometimes feel like I don't want to open my eyes in the morning, just stay there in my nice soft warm bed. Not every day is like that. But I often feel worn out and over used. But I keep trucking along, trying to do my very best as a RS president at this very needy time of year. A young sister(wife and mother of two), who has been in and out of hospital for the past 6 months or so, stops me in the hall at church and tells me that she wants to do something special for my family for Christmas and wants to know if Monday would be fine for her to stop by. She comes by with boxes of presents and candy for the girls and a few for Daniel and I. Shes also comes with supper prepared. I am so touched I cry.
4) June 2009, I am busy this week getting things ready for the RS party that is going to be held in my back yard on Thursday. I also have a new calling as a counsilor in the Primary presidency and this coming Sunday is my week to do sharing time. I have never been in primary before, I haven't a clue as to what I am suppose to do. Lucky for me it is Father's day, so I can plan sharing time around that. My visiting teacher calls me up and tells me that she is coming by to do what ever I need her to do. I am to prideful to let her help me with what I probably need help with the most, so I tell her she can help me in the yard. The work got done quicker, and gave me more time to do other things to get ready for the RS party.
The moral of the story is this....if you want to offer your help to me, you need to tell me that you are going to help and how you are going to do it. Because if you ask, I will tell you that I am fine, even if it is quite evident to everyone else that I need help. It is hard for me to ask for, or accept help when I know...or think that I know that I can do it for myself. I am slowly getting better at it...slowly.
No comments:
Post a Comment