So today Kathryn came to me and asked if I could make her some KoolAid so she could have a KoolAid sale. She got some boxes out of the recycle in the garage and stacked them up at the end of our drive way. She wanted me to write on the box "Kathryn's Cold Koolaid, 10 cents", and then she drew some additional posters coping my writing and drawing pictures of Koolaid and put them on the house. She got all set up and sat out there with a jug for people to put their money in, she got out the binoculars so that she could look way down the street to see if anybody was coming. She also called out up and down the street "Koolaid! Come get your Koolaid!", "Delicious Koolaid!, come get some Koolaid!", "I've got Koolaid, 10 cents a glass!" and other such things. My heart was aching for her because there really isn't a lot of people walking around during the day, and she was so excited to make a little money to buy a new piggy bank she had seen at the dollar store. I was just about to pick up the phone and call a few people in the ward and see if they would come buy some Koolaid from her when she came running through the door all excited because a lady had stopped and bought a glass of Koolaid "MOM, I just had my first customer!". I started to tear up. The excitement and pleasure on her face was so genuine. I had to hold it back because I didn't want to confuse her with my tears. I was just so proud of her for getting her first sale, she was trying so hard. After giving me a hug she went back outside and continued trying to sell her Koolaid. No one else came by, I did go out and asked her if I could be a customer, she said "do you have a dime, that is 10 cents you know", I said I did so she agreed to sell me some koolaid. She was out there for over an hour. She never gave up, and she never got discouraged. She did get hot sitting out in the sun, so she came in and put her Koolaid in the fridge and told us all we were not allowed to drink it because she was going to set up her Koolaid stand again tomorrow. I hope she has some success tomorrow.
Does God ever watch our adult "koolaid stands" and try not to laugh or cry? He has an eternity of riches to bless us with and we're out there, sweating in the sun, trying to earn enough dimes to buy a made-in-china piggy bank--to store more dimes in.
ReplyDeleteThat is cute, I think I would have cried if I was there and she's not even my kid. I'm such a sissy. Also, you should know I laughed out loud when you said "I didn't want to confuse her with my tears." because I pictured you trying to explain in to Kathryn. In my head she listened for a few seconds, made a funny face and then said something about how you're silly, it was pretty good.
ReplyDeleteyeah, that's probably about how it would go, with maybe a few "why?"s in there.
ReplyDelete[this is good] Awwww!
ReplyDelete