I was brought to tears as I listened to the Grade 5 class share parts of the book "Highway of Heroes" (by Kathy Stinson) and watched a slide show of the hundreds of Canadian citizens line the highway and bridges to pay respect to our fallen soldiers. I was moved to tears as I listened to Tanslely's Grade 4 class sing "Let there Be Peace on Earth" and thought about her note that she left for me on that tragic day in October. Tansley sang out with all her heart, and that class sounded like they really meant it.
I was brought to tears as I listened to the Grade 2 class share their own thoughts on how they feel peace inspired by the book "What does Peace Feel Like?" (by Vladimir Radunsky). Some that I remember were, "Peace feels like sand running through your fingers", "Peace smells like fresh flowers in my living room", "Peace sounds like children being quiet". Kymberly made me proud when she stood with her picture and said "Peace feels like tears falling down my face when I think about my Great Great Uncle who died in the war." And as always, I was moved to tears as I listened to the Last Post played and watched what few veterans we have left stand at attention.It seemed to me that the children felt a little more connected this year. I know they have been talking about the loss of two soldiers on our very own soil this past month. And maybe that is something that is a little more real to them because it happened in their time, in their country. Whatever it was, it felt as though those kids sang out with a little more heart, and a little more feeling than I have ever heard them before.
I'm glad these kids are "Remebering" and that we haven't let them forget. And on a very personal note, that my own kids know the stories of our own families war Heroes and that that means something to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment