Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I may have a problem.

I was so excited with idea of getting rid of baby things now that I feel certain that our family has reached its proper size. And for the most part I've been great at just getting rid of things when Ella no longer needs them. It's made especially easy when I have people that I know and care about that I can pass the stuff on to. However, I have come to realize that I may have attachment issues when it comes to baby clothes. In particular clothes that all 4 of my girls have worn. There are so many memories attached to each piece of clothing, memories for each of the girls. Memories that I may or may not be afraid will disappear if I don't have those clothes to remind me of them. And so every time I go through clothes that Ella has out grown, it takes forever. I have to talk myself into putting them into a give away box. And then there are some, that I just can't part with. The biggest culprit are things that I have created. I once posted about my obsession with fabric. It seems as though that obsession extends to the things that I create from that fabric. These things that I have made for my baby girls, I just can't put in a box to give away, they are far to precious. I might be OK if I gave them to a family member and then they always stayed in the family so that I could see my lovely nieces wearing clothes that I have created...but I'm not even sure that I am ready for that. I have this tote, it.s a fairly large tote, that I have designated as my baby keep sake box. I told myself that once it was full, I'd just have to give the rest away. Do you know how many dresses and things I have created over the past 11 years? Neither do I, but I know it's more than a few. The box is full, and Ella isn't yet one. I'm going to have to get another one...maybe just a temporary one, until the day comes that I can part with some of my obsessions.

8 comments:

  1. I think that you should keep some! My mom kept some of her favorite dresses of mine and put them in a keepsake box, and I am definitely using them if I have a girl! Keep them and your grandchildren can wear them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping SOME isn't a problem. The problem is I want the ALL. How can I just pick my favourite creations? That would be like picking your favourite child. It can't be done. See, I have a problem.

      Delete
  2. I have special dresses tucked away in my hope chest from when I was little! Some are ones that my grandma made for me, and I love to pull them out and look at them still! They are such a treasure now that she is gone. Your kids will appreciate that you kept them later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for justifying my obsession :) Now if only I had more space to store them all...

      Delete
  3. Well, if you have as many grandkuds as our grandparents have, you're going to need more than one tote of clothes stored up to go around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring it on, I've got enough to clothe them all :)

      Delete
  4. Grandkuds? Really? That's an autocorrect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandy; An easy solution is to take digital pictures (or even make a printed album of the pictures) of all the fun and nice things, and select only a few treasures (like blessing outfits perhaps) to keep. I admit to keeping some things other than the typical symbolic things: A pair of worn out green alligator mittens, a pair of beaded moccasins with real rabbit fur, and a tiny pair of toddler red velvet pants with a white fur kitten appliqued on the inside and back wrapped around the leg (tail waving on outside and head popping out between legs to the front - when the boys walked it looked like a kitten was with them. I just couldn't get rid of them.

    As the children grew I also kept a box of funky fads (80s neon flourescent complete outfit including socks, jewelry and belts; fake leather jacket covered in zippers; leg warmers; and super skinny tight "bubble gum" pants). One day the girls went through it when they had children of their own and I told them to take anything they wanted.

    ReplyDelete