Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Just Write #2; Monsters, pushups and a sleeping baby.

So, last night I experienced a first. Last night after having put James to bed we could hear him crying very loudly in his bedroom. I went to check on him and he was huddled in the corner of his bed. I asked him what was wrong and he told me there was a monster. "Where?" I asked him. "In there" he says pointing to his closet. Now earlier in the day I had rearranged things in his closet and added some things so it did indeed look different. I told him there wasn't a monster in his closet and closed the closet door. "there, no more monsters". I settled him down and put him back to bed. He asked for his blanket, but unfortunately it was currently in the washer because it had faced the unfortunate wrath of James in a temper tantrum and refusing to use the potty in that moment. I told him that it was being washed and I would bring it to him as soon as it was dry. Not five minutes later he was crying again. This time Daddy went to save the day. Again, he was fearful of the monster in the closet, Daddy had him come and look in the closet to see what was in there, "oh"  he says "there's no monster, just boxes". And off to bed he goes again only to start crying moments after daddy had shut his bedroom door. Somehow daddy was able to get him to settle down for good. And as soon as his blanket was dry, I brought it up and tucked it around him.
I've never had a child afraid of the "monster in the closet", and I don't know why he was suddenly afraid of the monster last night. I wonder if maybe it was simply because he didn't have his blanket to keep him safe.

This month I have started a couple of challenges, in an effort to do something about the condition of my body. Baby is almost three months old, and although I am back to my pre pregnancy weight, it is a weight I don't want to remain at. I have found that if I give myself little challenges to work towards, it is easier to keep on track. So this month is a push up and crunchy challenge. I started out on the 1st doing 5 pushups and 20 crunchies. The 5 pushups just about did me in. Last nights challenge was 10 pushups. The day before that I did 7 and wondered how I'd ever get 3 more in the next day. But you know what? I just did it, #10 was a little bit of a struggle, but I got it done and what a feeling of accomplishment. Who knew that 10 measly little push ups could make one feel so great? By the end of the month the plan is to be able to do 40 push ups and 100 crunches.

Little miss Ella has been sleeping 6 or so hours most nights and she is starting to take longer naps during the day instead of short little naps. The result is that I am actually starting to get things done again.Yeah! However at this moment I am typing this one handed as she lies in my arms fighting sleep but ever so slowly giving in.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those days! So exhausting. I am still exhausted with a 13, 12, and 9 year old but at least I get to sleep through the night. Blessings to you. Keep up the good work getting back in shape! The chemicals released though exercise will do you so much good in every area! Love, Rachael

    ReplyDelete