Friday, January 25, 2013

Potty training....a possible success story.

When I was in Lethbridge on Wednesday I happened to find a steal of a deal at a second hand store. I had gone in to see if I could find a dresser so that I would have something to put baby's clothes in, but they didn't have anything in my price range. But what I did find was a training potty, in amazing condition for $2.50. Since the one we had had gotten broken beyond repair and James has recently been showing some promising signs of being ready to potty train, I couldn't pass on this amazing deal. Thursday we set it out and he was excited to sit on it. I let him run around all morning without a diaper on. He peed on the floor three times. He also dumped out an entire box of cereal on the living room floor, and  tried to wash his hair on his own on three separate occasions....it was quiet and eventful day. At noon I had to go up to the school, so I put a diaper on him and went and did what needed to be done. When we got home, he had a melt down and ended up falling asleep with his diaper on, so I took a nap too. The afternoon was a wash when it came to potty training, but then right before bed we had a break through. I was getting ready to put James to bed, but I really had to go to the bathroom, so I told him to just wait a minute because mom had to go potty. Well he decided that he had to go potty to, so he came into the bathroom with me and he sat on his potty, and then he peed, IN THE POTTY! I was so excited and let him know it. "YOU DID IT! Good job buddy! You peed in the potty!"  The girls heard all the ruckus in the bathroom so they came and stood outside the door and were shouting too. James started jumping up and down "I did it! I peed!". He opened the bathroom door and said "LOOK!, I peed!" the girls all cheered him on and gave him hi fives.  It all just happened. It was like the girls all knew exactly what to do, and James just loved every second of the attention. When it all calmed down, he sat down on the potty again, and tried to pee, and then he said with a frown. "Don't work mom". We all laughed, but he was seriously disappointed that it wasn't working again. I told him it was OK and we would try again in the morning.

Daddy came home from his week long business trip with surprises for all the kids, plus a little extra for the boy, some stylin' new underpants! This morning before school daddy handed out the gifts. We took off James' diaper and put on some Lightning Mcqueen underpants. He stayed dry for quite awhile, but I wanted him to feel the urge to pee so I kept offering him milk and water. And then finally it happened, he peed...in his underpants...on his bedroom floor. He came to tell me right away. so we took off his underpants, and cleaned up the mess. By the time we had that done, he said he had to pee, so this time we got him on his potty, and he peed. Once again I made a big deal about it, dad told him "good job buddy" and he ran out of the bathroom and said "Kym, come here! Look, I peed!". This became a theme for the day. EVERY time he peed in the potty he would call everyone, by name, one by one, to "Come here!" so that he could show them that he peed in the potty. We didn't have another peeing accident that day, but he did poop on the floor...gross...we'll have to work on that.

The problem we have is that he doesn't get the purpose of underpants. Three times today he would ask me to put on his new underpants, and then promptly go and sit on the potty in his underpants and pee. Hmm...I tried to explain to him that we have to take off the underpants first. I even told him not to pee on Lightning Mcqueen. But it just wasn't getting through to him. So I decided that for today, we would focus on the recognizing the need to pee, and tomorrow we'll work on the underpants part of it. All in all, I feel like today was a success. Here's hoping that it just gets better from here. Wouldn't it be great if I only had the baby in diapers...no more almost 3yr old diapers to change!!!! Heaven, that's what that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment